- Original genus: Lepas
- Type locality: Amboina, INDONESIA
- Types: lectotype, specimen illustrated in Rumphius, 1705, pl. 41, fig. A (designation by Henry & McLaughlin, 1986: 18)
- Distribution: Living populations found worldwide, and distributed by shipping; reported as fossil from Neogene localities in Europe.
- ZooBank: 55329EAC-DA62-4AEC-BB90-81726680543E
- Balanus tintinnabulum communis Darwin, 1854: 195 (Notes: 1. Darwin's custom was to use "communis" to designate nomino-typical subspecies. 2. Name Balanus communis Darwin, 1854 is pre-occupied by Balanus communis (Pulteney, 1799), junior synonym of Perforatus perforatus)
- Darwin, C. 1854. A monograph on the sub-class Cirripedia with figures of all species. Vol. 2: The Balanidae, The Verrucidae. BHL London: Ray Society. Reference page. [See p. 195, as Balanus tintinnabulum] (year of publication erroneously given as 1767)
- Henry, D.P.; McLaughlin, P.A. 1986: The Recent species of Megabalanus (Cirripedia: Balanomorpha) with special emphasis on Balanus tintinnabulum (Linnaeus) sensu lato. Zoologische verhandelingen 235(8): 1–69. pdf Reference page. [See p. 17, for complete list of older junior synonyms, pre-Linnaeus references, and lectotype designation]
- Linnaeus, C. 1758. Systema Naturae per regna tria naturae, secundum classes, ordines, genera, species, cum characteribus, differentiis, synonymis, locis. Editio Decima, Reformata. Tomus I. Holmiæ (Stockholm): impensis direct. Laurentii Salvii. 824 pp. DOI: 10.5962/bhl.title.542 BHL Reference page. [See p. 668, as Lepas tintiñabulum]
- Newman, W.A. 1979: On the biogeography of balanomorph barnacles of the Southern Ocean including new balanid taxa: A subfamily two genera and three species. IN Proceedings of the International Symposium of Marine Biogeography and Evolution in the Southern Hemisphere. New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research information series 137 1: 279–306. Reference page.
- Newman, W.A.; Ross, E. 1976: Revision of the balanomorph barnacles; including a catalog of the species. Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History, (9) BHL Reference page. [See p. 68]
- Pilsbry, H.A. 1916: The sessile barnacles (Cirripedia) contained in the collections of the US National Museum; including a monograph of the American species. Bulletin of the United States National Museum, (93) DOI: 10.5962/bhl.title.1144 Reference page. [See p. 55, as Balanus (Megabalanus) tintinnabulum tintinnabulum]
- Pochai, A., Kingtong, S., Sukparangsi, W. & Khachonpisitsak, S. 2017. The diversity of acorn barnacles (Cirripedia, Balanomorpha) across Thailand’s coasts: The Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand. Zoosystematics and Evolution 93(1): 13–34. DOI: 10.3897/zse.93.10769. Reference page.