Sonora mutabilis Stickel, 1943
- Holotype: FMNH 105297 (formerly EHT-HMS 4661), ♂, collected by H.M. Smith on 29 July 1935.
- Type locality: “near Magdalena, Jalisco, Mexico”.
- Sonora michoacanensis mutabilis Stickel, 1943: 116 [original combination, as subspecies]
- Sonora mutabilis — Ponce-Campos, Smith, Harris & Chiszar, 2004: 146 [subsequent combination, elevate to species]
- Sonora aequalis Smith & Taylor, 1945: 128 [synonymised by Echternacht (173: 9); ressurected by Ponce-Campos et al. (2004: 148); synonymised again by Cox et al. (2012: 103)]
- Holotype: MCZ 6444, collected by W.B. Richardon on 6 May 1893.
- Type locality: “central Mexico”; originally given as ‘Matagalpa, Nicaragua’ by Stickel (1943: 117), later concluded to be ‘from an area within or somewhat to the east of the ranges of mutabilis and michoacanensis, on the southern part of the Mexican Plateau or in the surrounding mountains’ by Stickel (1943: 118).
Primary references Edit
- Stickel, W.H. 1943. The Mexican snakes of the genera Sonora and Chionactis with notes on the status of other colubrid genera. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington 56: 109–127. BHL Reference page.
- Smith, H.M. & Taylor, E.H. 1945. An annotated checklist and key to the snakes of Mexico. United States National Museum Bulletin 187: iv+ 239. BHL Reference page.
- Echternacht, A.C. 1973. The color pattern of Sonora michoacanensis (Dugès) (Serpentes, Colubridae) and its bearing on the origin of the species. Breviora 410: 1–18. BHL Reference page.
- Ponce-Campos, P., Smith, H.M., Harris, H.S. & Chiszar, D. 2004. A review of the taxonomic status of the members of the Sonora michoacanensis group (Serpentes: Colubridae). Bulletin of the Maryland Herpetological Society 40(3): 144–151. BHL Reference page.
- Cox, C.L., Rabosky, A.R.D., Reyes-Velasco, J., Ponce-Campos, P., Smith, E.N., Flores-Villela, O. & Campbell, J.A. 2012. Molecular systematics of the genus Sonora (Squamata: Colubridae) in central and western Mexico. Systematics and Biodiversity 10(1): 93–108. DOI: 10.1080/14772000.2012.666293 Reference page.