User talk:OhanaUnited/Archive 5
User page Edit
Caradrina (Caradrina) Edit
Please can you look too Caradrina (Caradrina)? I can't move Caradrina likiangia to Caradrina (Caradrina) likiangia. I had add a lot of species but all is gone. How is this possible.
Please will you do this for me? But where are my contributions?
I think there is something wrong. I have now no text
Caradrina likiangia has to move to Caradrina (Caradrina) likiangia. If this is done then you get the right text in Caradrina (Caradrina) likianga. But i have allready addit a 50 species of Cadrina with Subgenus but they are disappeart. Normaly if you add a species to a subgenus u can use MOVE. But I don't understand if you add a species with a Subgenus you first get now the species without the Subgenus and then have to move them to the subgenus. Whose idea is this?
Its still not good. look Caradrina (Caradrina) likiangia. The page is empty. Only the text Delete this page. For example text see the other Caradrina (Caradrina). The same text have to be add to Caradrina (Caradrina).
The problem is maybe Rocket000. I saw today some changes from him in the subspecies of Tethea. I have ask him what he is doing, but no answer.
The text by Caradrina likiangia is the right text. This text has to move to Caradrina (Caradrina) likiangia.
PeterR 11:17, 6 January 2010 (UTC)
There is really something wrong with the template Subgenus. All my work with Subgenus are disappeard. I don't like that my contributions of months is now disappeard. Tethea had I add after Esperiana band 13. Now are the species pages empty. It have cost me a lot of money to order the books. So please look at the template who have make it and maybe you can repair the pages. I think that all the pages with Subgenera are disappeard. That means that the contributions of a lot additors have been for nothing. If you can't repair it please warn the additors of this bug. I'm very disappointed now.
PeterR 10:08, 7 January 2010 (UTC)
something odd! Edit
What is going on here Ectoedemia (Zimmermannia)? Hint: hover over subspecies list... Stho002 02:45, 10 January 2010 (UTC) Actually, it is a good idea to get rid of subgenera from species page names, but pages already created pose a problem to follow suit ... Stho002 04:04, 10 January 2010 (UTC)
The problem is solved now, but Rocket000 need a lot of time to repair the subgenera.
PeterR 10:42, 10 January 2010 (UTC)
Re: Main Page revision Edit
Well, let's do it! I'm willing to update it every fortnight or so. I remember you've proposed the change at the village pump about 3 months ago, with not much response to it... This community, I think is a bit indifferent to such trivial matters...
Mariusm 05:29, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
- The main page is User:Mariusm/MainPage1. It uses 2 templates: Template:Species of the week and template:MP pictures. You'll need to protect all 3 files.
- As for the updates: Because I'm not an admin, I could create 2 more (unprotected) templates where I'll make the updates, notify you, and than you'll copy the info from there to the protected templates.
- Mariusm 05:26, 18 January 2010 (UTC)
- OK. I applied for admin. Mariusm 13:44, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
Log Out Edit
When i'm working in species.wikipedia they log me out automaticly after a while. Why they do this. I'm still working and i don't see if they log me out. On some reason i get a message that i can't add species anymore and i have to log in on new. If you forgett to copy what you have done you have to start at the beginning.
PeterR 15:03, 19 January 2010 (UTC)
Thanks & main page follow-up Edit
Thanks for your support. Now we can procceed with the plan to upgrade the main page. I'll put a notice at the village pump, to see if anyone has objections or suggestions, and give a due date, when the change will take place.
Mariusm 05:22, 28 January 2010 (UTC)
Chinese names Edit
I have a difference of opinion with Stephen about chinese names. I use normaly original chines bulletins and in this bulletins they write the names Yan-feng Tong and Shu-qiang Li. In Zootaxa they write Yanfeng Tong and Shuqiang Li. So i add the authors names as Y.F. Tong and S.Q. Li. Stephen say it have to be Y. Tong and S. Li. What we have to do to get good Chinese authornames.
PeterR 07:50, 10 February 2010 (UTC)
- Oh, yes! I keep thinking of you as Canadian! Chinese first names: when is it one name like Yanfeng, when is it hyphenated Yan-Feng, and when is it two names Yan Feng? Also, is it Y.-F. or Y.-f. ? Stho002 07:53, 10 February 2010 (UTC)
- I'll answer here so I don't have to paste 2 identical messages to different talk pages. I'm a Chinese-Canadian. Technically, we put our last name at the front and first name at the back (e.g. NBA basketball player Yao Ming's first name is Ming and last name is Yao.) It's the opposite of western system. In short, both of you are wrong (but Peter is closer to the "right" answer than Steven). Don't try to abbreviate Chinese author names unless that abbreviation is commonly used or used by the author when submitting the article. Go with whatever name used in the journal. OhanaUnitedTalk page 14:31, 10 February 2010 (UTC)
- I have to diagree, Andrew! I don't think you understood the question properly. Also, in Western scientific literature like Zootaxa, the surname of a Chinese author is usually standardised with the last name last. But, that wasn't the question. I was talking about first names with two parts, sometimes written with a hyphen, and sometimes not (e.g. Yan-Feng or Yanfeng). I was trying to convince Peter to use whatever form of the name is used in the journal, as you suggest above! I still don't know when the hyphen is appropriate, and when it is used, whether the correct abbreviation would be Y.-F. or Y.-f. ? Stho002 20:19, 10 February 2010 (UTC)
Here a few examples FU-MING SHI & YAN-LIN CHANG ; YI-PING WANG, XUE-XIN CHEN & JUN- HUA HE ; XIN-PU WANG & HOU-HUN LI. Zootaxa write the last authonames as Xinpu Wang and Houhun Li. For me it is X.P. Wang and H.H. Li.
PeterR 11:18, 11 February 2010 (UTC)
- Keep them as Xinpu Wang and Houhun Li. The English names merely represent how they sound in Chinese by giving them names that westerns can try to pronounce. Abbreviating the names automatically loses the ability of pronouncing the names without first looking up the full name. For example, if you communicate with Xinpu Wang but referred him as X.P. Wang, the author himself might even look at you and wonder who you're referring to. OhanaUnitedTalk page 14:37, 11 February 2010 (UTC)
- IF the publication says Xinpu Wang, then abbreviate it X. Wang. If the publication says Xin-Pu Wang, then abbreviate it as X.-P. Wang (or perhaps X.-p. Wang?). DON'T abbreviate it as X.P. Wang, and DONT not abbreviate it, please! Stho002 20:34, 11 February 2010 (UTC)
- It is standard formatting procedure to abbreviate the first names of authors in reference citations - standard procedure both in science in general and standard procedure in Wikispecies. We can't not do that just because the author names are Chinese. I stand by my previous comment/request ... Stho002 00:24, 12 February 2010 (UTC)
- perhaps, though, you just mean not to abbreviate their names on author page names? That would be OK ... Stho002 00:26, 12 February 2010 (UTC)
- I'm not leaving author's names unabbreviated in reference citations - I will use whatever form of abbreviation is suggested by the original publication. If they say Xinpu Wang, then I write Wang, X., but if they say Xin-Pu Wang, then I write Wang, X.-P. Stho002 06:29, 12 February 2010 (UTC)
- Then you should make it Wang, X.P. (not Wang, X.-P.) We never use dashes because we don't have this punctuation until quite recently (when English starts to influence Chinese) OhanaUnitedTalk page 16:40, 12 February 2010 (UTC)
Hi, Thanks. I had a very busy time in the latter half of 2009, but it is now winter season and I am able to do a little work here. Its good to be back. Alan Accassidy 16:56, 11 February 2010 (UTC)
Can someone please block User:The Animal Lover 4... writng pervert messages and blanking pages Epibase 19:03, 12 February 2010 (UTC)
Andrew, I am willing to accept the nomination to become an Admin, although I am not excatly sure of the implications. I am quite a quick learner and I think I have a sensible approach. To be able to block vandals occasionaly would be a help. Regards, Alan Accassidy 22:47, 14 February 2010 (UTC)
- Didn't take long for me to have to block someone. See log for 15.21 today. I hope this was the right thing to do... Accassidy 15:26, 23 February 2010 (UTC)
Andrew, if you look at the new user creation log Special:Log/newusers there are a whole array of new names created automatically. One of these User:BillyGoat is certainly a reincarnation of Animal Lover, and I have blocked it as he has started using it. Can we somehow create a group block for more of his names? Accassidy 19:41, 3 March 2010 (UTC)
I am a user who would like to order, pardon Wikipedia Nāhuatl (In addition, my English is not very good) محک 17:21, 24 February 2010 (UTC)
Main page update Edit
How is my recent Main Page update? Mariusm 08:02, 8 March 2010 (UTC)
Argyreus and Cowania Edit
Argyreus is synonymized with Arynnis and Cowania have a replacement name Ahmetia.
PeterR 09:40, 8 March 2010 (UTC)
Hi, I saw the changes on the page Galathowenia, but why removing the name and year of description ?
I was just following the Linnean nomenclature which requests the name of describer and year of description.
It's useful because it helps to be certain of the validity of the species. In the Oweniidae, in Owenia, impossible to confirm the validity of Owenia occidentalis because I was not able to find a reference with these two informations.
Ndiver 11:52, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks for your explainations. I will have to create a page for each one of the species :-/ . My problem is that for example that the ITIS is totally out of it concerning the list of the species. So it becomes more and more difficult to find some good references with the valid species and more generally to find the list of the species in a genus. And without references, difficult to say that a species really exists or not ... --Ndiver 11:29, 14 March 2010 (UTC)
page move Edit
Andrew, I changed the Template for the Miletini on 31 March, after all the voting on the issue, and posted to the Village Pump on 31 March to that effect. You can see the discussion there. I am rather upset that you have reverted the edit without first reading the Pump discussion nor saying anything about your intention on my Talk page. If you had taken the time to look at some of the species pages that I have recently been compiling under Allotinus, then you might have realised the value to the browser when going straight to the species page when the collapsible template was in existence. Now go to Allotinus (Allotinus) subviolaceus for example and see how long the Taxonav is and how little comes on your screen. As the only editor working seriously in this particular area, I had hoped that my views might have been accorded a bit more respect. Accassidy (talk) 08:48, 12 April 2010 (UTC)
page move remind Edit
Image change of name Edit
Andrew, can you pls change the name (in Commons) of File:Sabatinca incongruella.jpg to File:Sabatinca chalcophanes.jpg? The author of the image has changed it on the file description (and alerted me of the problem), but neither of us can change the filename. Thanks, Stho002 (talk) 03:15, 23 July 2010 (UTC)
you just made it longer! :) Go ahead ...
- thanks, I needed that !
Minor edits Edit
Thanks for the tip, Andrew. But I believe all my edits were minor, since all I did was add some vernacular names for the species. Best Regards
OK, I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tip. Cheers.
Chasminodes nigrifascia Edit
Can you allso translate chinese bulletins?
I have add Chasminodes nigrifascia from www.genedao.com and i cant read which bulletin it is. Can you do this for me?
If you type in Google Chasminodes nigrifascia you see a headline The GeneDao Database and life.sysu.edu.cn/genedao/.../display_abstract.php3?genedao....
If you click on the headline you see the abstract.
New tools for new admin Edit
> You're now an admin. Please ask if you're unfamiliar with some of the additional tools you have been granted with. OhanaUnitedTalk page 02:28, 11 October 2010 (UTC)
Thank you, OhanaUnited! I am, indeed, unfamiliar with the new tools I see - Block and Rollback (are there others?) Could you please point me toward any explanation of their proper use? Thanks again, MKOliver (talk) 16:58, 17 October 2010 (UTC)
Powerful tools. Thanks for the clear explanations. MKOliver (talk) 00:58, 18 October 2010 (UTC)